Qualifications : LLB, University of Auckland.
Peter is a property law specialist, with expertise in local government property law. Peter joined Tompkins Wake as a partner in 2006 and has nearly 40 years’ experience practicing law.
Noted as a recommended lawyer in The Legal 500 for Asia Pacific, Peter has taken a leading role in the delivery of property legal advice to the firms Local Government clients, including Hamilton City Council, Rotorua Lakes Council, and others. In addition Peter is an expert in strategic asset planning, working with our private clients on personal asset planning and property related matters.
Areas of expertise
- Charities and Incorporated Societies
- Commercial Property Transactions
- Elder Law
- Local Government Property
- Public Works Act
- Succession Planning
- Trusts and Asset Protection
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Subdivisions and Development
- Reserves and Endowment Land
- A music aficionado, Peter is an honorary solicitor to the Hamilton Caledonian Society
- Senior member of the Hamilton Caledonian Society’s Pipe Band, a trustee of the Lewis Turrell Memorial Trust, an honorary solicitor to Central North Island Centre of the Royal New Zealand Pipe Bands’ Association, a life member of The City of Auckland Pipe Band, co-founder of celtic rock group Celtic Grooves, and a supporter of the music department at Cambridge Middle School.
- Recommended Lawyer, Real Estate and Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- The development, subdivision and sale of a very large greenfield residential development in Te Atatu Peninsula for Waitakere Properties Limited (1995-2004)
- Negotiating complex contracts for the construction and operation of a wind farm at Te Uku for a Farmer Client (2007)
- Helping design and implement the strategy for the sale and securitisation of Hamilton City Council’s pensioner housing portfolio (2015-16)
- Designing and implementing succession strategies for several successful Waikato families (2006-16)
- Advising on the complexities relating to land status and development potential of significant landholdings by Hamilton City Council (2013-16)
- Advising and demystifying legal issues for our private clients.